Hearty Vegan Beef-less Beef Stew
I asked Mitchell what he felt like eating for dinner and he said a hearty vegan beef stew. It made perfect sense since it was a rainy cold day for June. Typical if you live near the mountains…
At first I was unsure how to get that vegan beefy hearty flavor but my mind was spinning with ideas right away.
As Mitchell and Meadow headed out to the library i turned on some tunes and started to cook. I diced a whole yellow onion and sauteed it with olive oil, adding plenty of minced garlic.
I added the cubed portobello mushrooms, a splash of liquid aminos (or soy sauce) and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes while i prepped the rest of the veggies.
The whole kitchen smelled so good! If I wasn’t pregnant, I’d be opening a nice bottle of red wine.
By the time Mitchell and Meadow were back they could smell the vegan beef stew. Crusty french bread was out of the oven and the baby gold potatoes were perfectly cooked.
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 large 'steak' portobello mushroom cubed
- 1 tbsp of liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 4 colorful carrots (purple, white, orange) diced
- 1 lb baby gold potatoes
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 10 oz frozen peas
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 qt of vegetable broth
- 1-2 cups of water (enough to barely cover potatoes and veggies)
- a couple sprigs of rosemary and thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp of chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt to taste
- Add the the olive oil to a pot and turn on stove medium high heat. Add the onions and sautee for 5 minutes or so until soften then add the minced garlic cloves, saute for another 5 minutes. Add the cubed mushroom and liquid aminos. Let it sautee for about 10 minutes, using a wooden spatula mix it once in a while. Continue adding the carrots, potatoes, celery, peas, tomato paste, veggie broth, a cup or two of water (just enough to cover the potatoes), garlic salt, 1 bay leaf and finally chopped parsley. Simmer until you can stick a fork through the baby potatoes. Highly recommend crusty bread and a bit of chili flakes.