Easy vegan sloppy joes
It’s been a chilly winter in Oregon and although spring is just around the corner we are still getting plenty of snow days which means comfort food. Sloppy joes are a staple during winter!
It’s a really simple recipe that tastes just like the real deal.
Although I love the convenience of ready to go vegan meat, I also love using plant based ingredients that have no preservatives. For this recipe I crumbled cauliflower and sauteed it with onion, it had the perfect meaty texture for the dish. I love cauliflower, it is so versatile! One day its a creamy Alfredo sauce, the next day its ground “beef”.
And one serving contains 77% of recommended vitamin C.
It took me less than 30 minutes to make and my little girl who is going through a picky phase (I cannot keep eating JUST spaghetti ? #toddlerproblems ) loved it.
It’s savory, sweet and comforting.
It pairs great with an IPA, need I say more? Just do it! So yummy!
Happy Friday everyone! Have a safe and adventurous weekend! ?
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 medium cauliflower crumbled
- 1 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
- 1 tbsp of cane sugar
- 1 tsp mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium size deep skillet heat up the olive oil in medium heat, add the diced onion, cook until translucent.
- While the onion is cooking, in a food processor crumble the cauliflower into coarse pieces (resembling "ground beef")
- Add to the onions, saute until slightly brown (8 minutes or so)
- Add the tomato sauce, ketchup, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes
- Serve on toasted buns with kettle chips