Delicious and simple vegan Cast iron apple pie
Part two of my last post, cast iron apple pie. This is seriously the best apple pie EVER. Here is my step by step easy pie crust recipe. A couple months ago we went to Joseph, Oregon and it was the cutest little mountain town. While we were there we took Meadow to the park and there was an apple tree with beautiful red pinkish apples. Mitchell immediately climbed the tree and we took about a dozen home then i made him apple pie for his efforts, haha. It was so cool to get apples from the source and take them back to our cabin. Now i want an apple tree in our home, lol I wish i could have a lemon and grapefruit tree as well but i dont think they do to well in Oregon. Now i just have to beg Marie, my mother in law to mail me some from her backyard in Arizona, lol. Nothing like Arizona grapefruit. Marie, would seriously bring me a box of them while i was pregnant and i would eat 4-5 a day. Super weird , i know. Meadow loves them now too, so funny.
Back to the pie, recipe is simple, old fashion, homemade apple pie. You can’t tell its vegan, it feels homey like grandma made it and you’re five years old again. It will be a winner for the holidays.
- double pie crust
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6-8 apples peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour, , add the water and sugar, then bring to a boil then reduce temperature and let simmer.
- place the bottom crust in the cast iron skillet, fill it with apple, then cover with lattice crust.
- Pour slowly the sugar and butter liquid over the crust.
- Bake for 35-45 minuts at 350