The best vegan enchiladas
My family and I are from Chihuahua Mexico and i grew up with red enchiladas and it has always been one of my favorite foods. I can always tell when a restaurant doesn’t make the sauce from scratch. Consequently, the majority of time i don’t even bother ordering themin restaurants because i’m such a snob about it.
However, it is so simple to make, its silly!
Here is the vegan enchilada recipe my mom uses and we also used in our old mamacita food truck too.
- Enchilada sauce;
- 1 bag of new mexico chile pods
- salt to taste
- 1 garlic clove
- Tofu 'queso fresco'
- Queso fresco recipe;
- extra firm tofu
- 1 lemon juice
- garlic salt
- First you rinse the chiles under cold water and remove the stem, then you boil them in water for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Once soft, you blend them with the garlic until smooth with 1/2 cup of the water they were boiled in (add more water if its very thick)
- pass the sauce through a strainer (this is to remove the skins of the chiles) and use a rubber spatula to press it well.
- Add salt to taste.
- 'Queso Fresco'
- For the cheese i drained and crumbled the tofu,
- added the juice of one large juicy lemon, 1tbsp of garlic salt, and salt to taste.
- Queso fresco has a salty sour kick but its super mild that's why traditionally it goes great with enchiladas. Surprisingly, tofu has the same texture!
For the enchiladas, I rolled the blue corn tortillas with smashed potatoes (to prevent the tortillas from breaking apart, heat them until soft then roll them into taquitos). Then i fry them in a deep pan with oil. Finish them with the chile sauce and toppings of your choice. For the queso fresco i used tofu. These enchiladas were one of the most popular items from our food truck, we would always sell out! And of course, our churros con chocolate as well.
The homemade sauce has a kick to eat with a smoky aroma that goes so perfectly with the potatoe stuffed corn tortillas. It taste authentic and it is the perfect mexican comfort food. The texture and slighlty sour taste of the ‘queso fresco’ complements and balances the richness of the dish.
Enjoy! Dont forget to tag your pictures @pnwmountainlife It makes my day seeing your beautiful creations!
Have a wonderful day!