One of my favorite memories of college was making mac and cheese with my sister. We were roommates and on lazy nights we would watch harry potter while we munched on creamy, easy, classic mac and cheese instead of doing homework, ha!
My nights look very different these days, they consist more of playing farm house with my two-year-old and trying to make healthy, quick and easy recipes that my toddler will actually eat.
Sounds tough? think not!
Honestly, this mac and cheese is heaven. It tastes so creamy, cheesy and comforting that it’s hard to believe is healthy for you. Not only is it dairy free, gluten free and oil free but the cheese is made out of butternut squash!
Simple ingredients working harmoniously is what vegan cooking is all about! It doesn’t get much better than this butternut squash mac and cheese with nutritional yeast because nooch is everything. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did! Thank you for visiting and remember to tag me on you pictures @pnwmountainlife! It means the world to me!
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of cashews (soaked for 30 minutes then drained)
- 1/3 cup of raw diced yellow onion
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- gf noodles of your choice
- set the oven to 450, while the oven is heating up cut the butternut squash in half, dice the onion, soak your cashews, and peel your piece of garlic.
- start preparing the gluten free noodles according to packaging.
- once oven is ready, bake the butternut squash face down until tender (usually 30 minutes or so) check with a fork every so often.
- once soft, let it cool for a second then peel the skin,
- chop the peeled butternut squash into squares and place in a blender with 1 cup of water
- blend until smooth
- drain the cashews, add them to the blender with the butternut squash and the rest of the ingredients.
- add the creamy "cheesy" sauce to pasta, stir.
- finish it with garnish of your choice; scallions, parsley or cilantro all pair great.